Vegan Lasagna by Coconut Oil
- 3 Tablespoons Dr. Bronner's Organic White or Whole Kernel Unrefined Coconut Oil.
- 1 large chopped onion.
- 4 or 5 cloves minced garlic to taste.
- 4 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes.
- 1/3 cup tomato paste.
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil.
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley.
- 1 teaspoon salt.
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper.
- 1 (16 ounce) package no-boil lasagna noodles.
- 2 pounds firm tofu.
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic.
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil.
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- ground black pepper to taste.
- 3 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped.
- spinach, thawed and drained.
- 1 pound sliced mushrooms.
1. Make the sauce: In a large, heavy saucepan, over medium heat, heat the coconut oil. Place the onions in the saucepan and sauté them in 2 Tablespoons of Doctor Bronner's Coconut Oil until they are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic; cook 5 minutes more.
2. Place the tomatoes, tomato paste, basil and parsley in the saucepan. Stir well, turn the heat to low and let the sauce simmer covered for 1 hour. Add the salt and pepper.
3. While the sauce is cooking. Sauté sliced mushrooms in the remaining 1 Tablespoons of Dr. Bronner's Coconut Oil, then drain.
4. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
5. Place the tofu blocks in a large bowl. Add the garlic, basil and parsley. Add the salt and pepper, and mash all the ingredients together by with a potato masher. Mix well.
6. Assemble the lasagna: Spread 1 cup of the tomato sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch casserole pan. Arrange a single layer of lasagna noodles, sprinkle one-third of the tofu mixture over the noodles. Distribute the spinach evenly over the tofu. Next ladle 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce over the tofu, and top it with another layer of the noodles. Then sprinkle another 1/3 of the tofu mixture over the noodles, top the tofu with 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce, and place a final layer of noodles over the tomato sauce. Finally, top the noodles with the final 1/3 of the tofu, and spread the remaining tomato sauce over everything, then top off with marinated mushrooms.
7. Cover the pan with foil and bake the lasagna for 30 minutes. Serve hot and enjoy.